A message from Andrea, February, 2011
1. We are coming up to "new membership" season. If you have someone who is interested in OC, but is NOT YET an FLCC member, they may join your crew. However, they are expected to pay a $10 drop-in fee for each session, and if they wish to continue to paddle regularly, logically will be purchasing an FLCC membership.
2. Any individuals described in #1 are expected to huli at the next huli clinic (summer 2011) if they wish to continue to paddle outrigger.
3. For the safety of the whole crew, and we have had some wild, windy days in recent weeks, there should be ONLY ONE person in the boat who has not huli'd. There have been boats that have huli'd in the past, and I'm sure there will be boats that huli in the future. If there are multiple people in the boat who have not huli'd, the whole crew is at risk in the event of a huli.
1. If anything "untoward" happens (you drop a lock in the water, you huli, you snap the ama in two) when your crew is out, please report it to me so that the problem can be fixed. Accidents happen. But we do ensure that the boats safe and seccure as soon as possible after any incident.
2. If you notice anything "untoward", let me know as well (like missing locks, etc.). Vandalism does happen.
**I want to reiterate the importance of reporting. My primary concern is the safety of each person who uses our outrigger canoes. Why is it important to report a huli, for example? Because the boat in question needs to be checked for cracks in the ama, shifting of the ama, etc. **
Any questions? Email Gralin
3rd Annual FLCC OC Regatta
Win for the EARLY RISERS
The annual FLCC OC Regatta was held on Saturday July 17, 2010.
Five teams raced in two heats. The races began just west of the bridge, with crews heading upstream, counterclockwise around the island.
In Heat 1, Channel Chicks and Wiki Wiki Ono raced. The extra outriggers for the BC Summer Games arrived in time for Heat 2, made up of Early Risers, Catalina and Elle Divas. Heat 2 Teams arrived early to cheer in Heat 1, and Heat 1 teams were around after visiting the pub to cheer in Heat 2. It was a beautiful day, perfect for racing.
The results are as follows:
1. Elle Divas - 55:23 (6 in the crew)
2. Channel Chicks - 76:00 (5 very determined crew members)
1. Early Risers - 46:00
2. Catalina - 49:00
3. Wiki Wiki Ono - 59:26
Hats off to the Early Risers - best time of the day
Catalina finishing it NOW
|Elle Divas - still smiling through the pain at the end of their race.|
Andrea welcomes home Wiki Wiki Ono
The Channel Chicks suffered even more, as one of their brood was missing.
Too tired to talk - the first two teams regaining their composure on a very hot day.
This (anonymous) team tried Special Tactics...
And, this stroke is out of time..
Next year.... 4 boats per heat, perhaps.